Note: All psychology students should follow FMU Psychology on Facebook to stay up-to-date with important information and announcements!
All Psychology majors are required to meet with their academic adviser during the advising and preregistration periods (usually during March and October). The dates for advising and preregistration are listed in the front of the Course Schedule. Students are required to schedule an advising appointment by signing up on the schedule posted on their adviser’s door, usually 1-2 weeks prior to advising and preregistration. Once a student has met with their adviser, the student will be cleared to register for classes. Please read these Advising Reminders for some tips to help you avoid graduation delays!
Please note the following:
- If you will graduate Summer 2013, you must adhere either to the Catalog under which you enrolled or to the 2012-2013 Catalog.
- If you will graduate Fall 2013, Spring 2014, or Summer 2014, you may choose to adhere either to the Catalog under which you enrolled or to the 2013-2014 Catalog.
- If you are entering Fall 2013 you must adhere to the 2013-2014 Catalog.
- You may not mix and match major requirements across Catalogs.
A major in psychology, according to the 2013-2014 Catalog and later, will require 38 semester hours, including the following:
- Psychology 206, 216, 220, 302, 303, 304, 319, 336, and 499
- At least one course from the Developmental Core courses: 315, 316, 334
- One course from the Integrative Experiences courses: 470 and 498
- Nine hours of psychology electives at the 300-level or higher
- Biology 105/115 or 104
- Psychology 206, 216, 220, 302, 303, 304, 319, and 499
- At least one course from each of the following required core areas:
a) Experimental Core – Psychology 321, 322, 323
b) Developmental Core – Psychology 315, 334 (Only one may be counted
toward the major in psychology)
c) Individual Differences Core – Psychology 325, 326
- One course from among the Integrative Experiences courses of Psychology: 470, 496, 498
- Psychology 316 may not count toward the Psychology major.
- Six hours of psychology electives.
- Mathematics 134 or the equivalent.
- CS 150 or the equivalent.
- Biology 105 and 115
Minor/collateral requirements (two options):
- two 12-hour collaterals approved by the faculty adviser, or
- an 18-hour minor approved by the faculty adviser
- A psychology major may only count Psychology 206 and 216 towards the General Education Requirements (Sciences). When fulfilling the General Education Requirements for Mathematics, it is recommended that psychology majors take Math 134. Psychology majors should attempt to gain a strong background in the science areas, as this will help them succeed in their chosen field.
- The minimum number of semester hours in all courses (major and non-major) required for the major in psychology is 120. That is, students must earn 120 credit hours to graduate.
- Students should monitor their Degree Audit frequently and consult their academic advisers as questions arise. Degree Audits are individualized for each student; they list all required courses and track students’ progress toward graduation.
- Students are responsible for consulting their FMU Catalog for information concerning major/minor/collateral course requirements, student attendance policies, grade information (including calculation of GPA), academic standing, and other academic issues.